Before the start of a painting project, the painters need to determine the watercolor surface to consider whether it will hold the paint or not. The surface, like wood and metal, requires various methods for painting, and you need to first understand the basics. There are things like color, stability, the absorbency of the materials that you need to check so that you can determine if the color will hold or not.
The absorbency of the material means that you need to determine how much paint will be absorbed by the surface and how much will spread on it. By getting proper absorption on the surface will help in getting a good quality of paint for the material. If you want to use watercolor on wood, then you need to consider the color as it will help you to get the perfect effect.
How to prepare the wood for painting?
To use watercolor on the wood, then you need to get it ready for the painting. You must take care of all the preparation for the painting.
• Use sandpaper on wood – To prepare the wood, you need to first level the surface by removing the dust and dirt particle, and for that, you can use sandpaper.
• Dust off the wood particles – After that, you can use a brush to just dust of the particles that are settled in the wood.
• Vacuum the wood properly – If you want deep cleaning, then you can use a vacuum on your wood to clean it properly so that you can avoid any problems.
What are the primers you can use on the wood?
If you want to learn How To Use Watercolor on Wood, then you need to consider all the steps for the painting. After cleaning the wood surface, you need to use a good quality of primer on the wood. It will help in binding the items together so that the watercolor can be used on it.
• Watercolor Ground – Watercolor Ground, as the name suggests, can be used as a primer for the base of watercolor. You can use it on the wood to get a vibrant look and provide an original feel for your woodwork.
• Gesso – You can call gesso an acrylic paint, but it is thinner, and it is a paint mixture that helps to work as a binder. It is made from the combination of pigment, chalk, and gypsum. When it is used on a surface, it will dry and make the surface hard.
Is the wood ready to paint now?
After applying the primer, you need to sometime before you can use the watercolor on it. Let it be for some time to settle on the surface of the wood. After it has appropriately settled, you are now ready for the painting. You need to consider the thickness of the watercolor for the perfect results. There are some artists who like to use watercolor on the flat wood panel while others look for various types of surfaces. It all depends on personal choice, and you use the watercolor as you like. This is How To Use Watercolor on Wood so that you can complete your projects.
How to finish the painting of the wood?
After you are done with the painting on the wood using the watercolor, you need to add some finishing to it. If you have completed a painting for self-pleasure or any other reason, you need to make sure that it does not get damaged. In some areas with high humidity, it can cause damages as the water paint will not last long. So you need to varnish the paintwork so that it does not get damaged. Most artists do not like varnish on their work, but it is the case when the painting is behind glass, but the painting on the wood needs to look raw, and you need to use varnish to protect it.
This is how To Use Watercolor on Wood to get a perfect effect on the wood. Any artist trying to use watercolor on the wood need to follow this method. To create the best item, you need to learn this process. By practicing on the wood will help you to get the perfect results.